Godwin, S.C.†, Bateman, A.W.†, Mordecai, G.†, Jones, S., Hutchings, J.A. Is scientific inquiry still incompatible with government information control? A quarter century later. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 80(10): 1679–1695.
Media: The Narwhal,
Evidence for Democracy
†Joint first authors *Editor's Choice
- Garzke, J., Forster, I., Godwin, S.C., Johnson, B.T., Krkosek, M., Mahara, N., Pakhomov, E.A., Rogers, L.A., Hunt, B.P.V. 2022. Dynamic coastal pelagic habitat drives rapid changes in growth and condition of juvenile sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) during early marine migration. FACETS. 7:1328–1347. PDF HTML
- Godwin, S.C., Bateman, A.W., Kuparinen, A., Johnson, R., Powell, R., Speck, K., Hutchings, J.A. 2022. Salmon lice in the Pacific Ocean show evidence of evolved resistance to parasiticide treatment. Scientific Reports. 12:4775. PDF HTML Media: The Narwhal, CTV News, The Tyee
- Medcalf, K.E., Hutchings, J.A., Fast, M.D., Kuparinen, A., Godwin, S.C. 2021. Water temperature and ectoparasitic sea lice alter the liver and heart of juvenile Atlantic salmon. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 660:161-169. PDF HTML
- Taylor, V.J., Barnes, P.J., Godwin, S.C., Bethune, G.C. 2021. Assessment of HER2 using the 2018 ASCO/CAP guideline update for invasive breast cancer: a critical look at cases classified as HER2 2+ by immunohistochemistry. Virchows Archiv. 479(1):23-31. PDF HTML
- Godwin, S.C., Krkosek, M., Reynolds, J.D., Bateman, A.W. 2021. Bias in self-reported parasite data from the salmon farming industry. Ecological Applications. 31(1):e02226. PDF HTML Media: The Narwhal, CBC
- Godwin, S.C., Krkosek, M., Reynolds, J.D., Bateman, A.W. 2021. Sea-louse abundance on salmon farms in relation to parasite-control policy and climate change. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 78(1):377-387. PDF HTML
- Godwin, S.C., Fast, M.D., Kuparinen, A., Medcalf, K.E., Hutchings, J.A. 2020. Increasing temperatures accentuate negative fitness consequences of a marine parasite. Scientific Reports. 10:18467. PDF HTML Media: Halifax Examiner
- Brookson, C.B., Krkosek, M., Hunt, B.P.V., Johnson, B.T., Rogers, L.A., Godwin, S.C. 2020. Differential infestation of juvenile Pacific salmon by parasitic sea lice in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 77(12): 1960-1968. PDF HTML Media: Hakai Magazine
Walsh, J.C.†, Reynolds, J.D.†, Pendray, E.J., Godwin, S.C., Artelle, K.A., Kindsvater, H.K., Field, R.D., Harding, J.N., Swain, N.L. 2020. Relationships between Pacific salmon and aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems: implications for ecosystem‐based management. Ecology. 101(9):e03060.
†Joint first authors
- Atkinson, E.M., Bateman, A.W., Dill, L.M., Krkošek, M., Reynolds, J.D., Godwin, S.C. 2018. Oust the louse: Leaping behaviour removes sea lice from wild juvenile sockeye salmon. Journal of Fish Biology. 93(2):263-271. PDF HTML Media: Science Magazine, Toronto Star
- Godwin, S.C., Krkošek, M., Reynolds, J.D., Rogers, L.A., Dill, L.M. 2018. Heavy sea louse infection is associated with decreased foraging success in wild juvenile sockeye salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 75(10):1587-1595. PDF HTML
- Godwin, S.C., Dill, L.M., Krkošek, M., Price, M.H.H., Reynolds, J.D. 2017. Reduced growth in wild juvenile sockeye salmon infected with sea lice. Journal of Fish Biology. 91(1):41-57. PDF HTML Summary Media: CBC, The Tyee
Godwin, S.C.†, Francis, F.T.†, Howard, B.R., Malpica-Cruz, L., Witter, A.L. 2017. Towards the economic viability of local seafood programs: Key features for the financial performance of community supported fisheries. Marine Policy. 81:375-380.
†Joint first authors
- Groner, M.L., Rogers, L.A., Bateman, A.W., Connors, B.M., Frazer, L.N., Godwin, S.C., Krkošek, M., Lewis, M.A., Peacock, S.J., Rees, E.E., Revie, C.W., Schlägel, U.E. 2016. Lessons from sea lice and salmon epidemiology. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences. 371(1689):20150203. PDF HTML
- Godwin, S.C., Dill, L.M., Reynolds, J.D., Krkošek, M. 2015. Sea lice, sockeye salmon, and foraging competition: Lousy fish are lousy competitors. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 72(7):1113-1120. PDF HTML Summary Media: Vancouver Sun, Globe & Mail
- Godwin, S.C., Solomon, C.T., Weidel, B.C., Jones, S.E. 2014. Dissolved organic carbon concentration controls benthic primary production: Results from in situ chambers in north-temperate lakes. Limnology and Oceanography. 59(6):2112-2120. PDF HTML Summary Correction
- Godwin, S.C., Krkosek, M. 2022. Pacific Salmon Field Guide. Lone Pine Publishing: Edmonton, Canada. HTML
- Peacock, S.J., Bateman, A.W., Connors, B., Godwin, S.C., Lewis, M.A., Krkošek, M. 2019. Ecology of a marine ectoparasite in farmed and wild salmon. In Wilson, K., Fenton, A., Tompkins, D.M. (eds), Wildlife Disease Ecology: Linking Theory to Data and Application. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. pp. 544-573. HTML
- Parasitic sea lice on farmed and wild salmon in Pacific Canada. Ecological Society of America. Portland, USA. August 2023.
- Salmon farming in the era of climate change. Atlantic Salmon Conservation Foundation. Virtual. November 2021. (Invited; Video)
- Salmon farming in the era of climate change. Dalhousie University. Virtual. May 2021. (Invited; Video)
- Increasing temperatures accentuate negative fitness consequences of parasitic sea lice in Atlantic salmon. North America Congress of Conservation Biology. Virtual. July 2020. (Video)
- Ecological interactions between wild and farmed salmon on Canada's west coast. Dalhousie University. Halifax, Canada. August 2018. (Invited)
- Evidence for sublethal effects of sea lice on wild juvenile sockeye salmon. Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting. Portland, USA. August 2017.
- Reduced growth in wild juvenile sockeye salmon infected with sea lice. Canadian Society for Ecology & Evolution Meeting. Victoria, Canada. May 2017. (Best Student Talk winner)
- Reduced growth in wild juvenile sockeye salmon infected with sea lice. International Marine Conservation Congress. St. John’s, Canada. August 2016.
- Salmon, sea lice, and indirect effects. Pacific Ecology and Evolution Conference. Bamfield, Canada. February 2016. (Best Talk runner-up)
- Infection of juvenile sockeye salmon by sea lice: Are lousy fish lousy competitors? Pacific Ecology and Evolution Conference. Bamfield, Canada. March 2014. (Best Talk runner-up)
- Infection of juvenile sockeye salmon by sea lice: Are lousy fish lousy competitors? Inter-Departmental Ecology of Aquatic Systems Symposium. Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada. January 2014. (Best Talk runner-up: Video)